Voter Help Desk
How often do I need to register to vote?

In October 2009, Congress passed the Military and Overseas Voter Empowerment (MOVE) Act. As a result, you should send in a new Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form to your local election official early in every calendar year during which you would like to vote, and whenever you change your address. You can generate the form by using the online process on our website. To begin the process, please click on "Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request" on the website.

You should also be sure to confirm your registration status in between elections during the same calendar year. You can call your election official or check your registration status online. The link to each state's registration confirmation service is listed in the Election Official Directory on our website.

Never assume that your ballot will simply be sent to you without sending in a new Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form or having direct confirmation from your election official that you are on the voting rolls. Always confirm that you are on the list to receive an absentee overseas/military ballot for the upcoming election. Contact details for local election officials are in the Election Official Directory.

Choose another category: