Voter Help Desk
Why does my ballot envelope refer to a 'current' address in the US?

Overseas absentee voters sometimes receive voting materials that refer to their "current residence address" in the state in which they are voting, even though they don't currently reside in the United States. The use of this term can be confusing when overseas voters want to make sure that their local election officials know that they are residing overseas.

In fact, the reference to "current residence address" is actually to a voter's "voting residence address," which is their last U.S. residence address before moving overseas. That is the address that dictates in which state and voting district an overseas American will vote.

When you file the Voter Registration/Absentee Ballot Request form and list a current address in a foreign country where absentee ballots should be sent, your local election official will know that you aren't currently residing within the U.S.

If you are being asked to sign an affidavit saying that you live at a "current address" in that state, what they mean is that you resided there as far as voting goes.

If you are concerned about signing, you can take the following actions:

  1. Contact your local election official in the U.S. and request clarification and confirmation that you can sign to the statement regarding your "current residence address." You can look up your local election official's contact information in the Election Official Directory under the “Election Official Contact Details” tab. 

  2. Make a note on the voting materials that you are entering your U.S. voting residence address but that you live abroad.


Choose another category: